We recommend applying to adopt at least one week prior to visiting the Cafe for an adoption match. This gives us time to process your application and ensure you are able to leave with a cat the day you visit.
You can review our available cats here on our website and apply specifically or submit a general application. Since we are a family-owned and run rescue, we spend 40+ hours a week with our cats and know their needs well.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like suggestions for cats based on your family dynamics.
We do not offer same-day adoptions. All applicants must be pre-approved by staff before taking a cat home.
Below are our adoption fees and criteria to adopt. Please review all information and then follow the link at the bottom of this page to complete your application.
(adopted in pairs or to homes with another cat only)
6 months – 11 months old:
Over 11 months of age:
Special Needs, Exotic, and senior prices vary on an individual basis.
*Cash or personal check preferred. A $10 convenience fee will be added to your adoption donation if paid by credit/charge.
Our multi-step process ensures that our cats are placed in an appropriate forever home – a suitable match for each family and an environment in which the animal can thrive and grow. Each application is reviewed on an individual basis. Please take your time filling out our application and answer questions honestly and completely. Failure to provide information, providing false information, or failing a vet check will result in denial.
Requirements for Approval
- Applicants must consent to and pass a background check conducted by Treetops staff.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old. All applicants are required to have a guardianship plan* or a co-applicant.
- Applicants who have owned pets in the past 10 years must provide a current veterinarian’s phone number and give permission for a Treetops representative to review records with that vet. All current and previous pets must show a consistent record of well-visits and vaccinations. Rabies is required by law for all domestic pets, including indoor cats. Distemper is also required to be kept up to date for the safety of other pets in the home. Inconsistent vetting history (refusal to vaccinate, years between well-visits, refusal to treat chronic illness as recommended by a vet) will result in denial of the application. Applicants who have never owned personal pets will be approved based on personal references and quality of their application.
- Our preferential adoption area is within a 1-hour drive from the Southern Chester County Area, but we do accept applications within a 2-hour drive.
- Kittens under the age of 6 months are to be adopted in pairs or to a home with other cats. Due to the amount of care and supervision tiny kittens need, we do not adopt young kittens to homes with young children or those without cat-owning experience. Most of our adults are 2 years old or younger and would make great pets for families or first-time owners!
The fine print:
*Spay/Neuter Deposit: Only applicable to kittens who are too young to be spayed/neutered in our care.
This $50 fee is refunded once the rescue receives documentation that the adopted animal(s) has been spayed or neutered.
**Exotic Cat/Kitten: Has the markings or physical features of an exotic breed such as Siamese, Himalayan, Maine Coon, or Persian.
***Special Needs Cat/Kitten: Has physical or behavioral issues that may need special or continuing care in the present or near future. For our “special needs” animals we are willing to adopt them outside of our normal adoption range to a great family.
ESA (emotional support animal) Adoptions:
We do allow cats to be adopted as emotional support animals. To qualify for an ESA adoption, applicants must provide the approved paperwork required by their rental manager/property owner in advance. ESA approval requires a diagnosis of qualifying condition including, but not limited to: anxiety, depression, chronic stress, PTSD, learning impairment. All vetting required to qualify a cat for ESA approval is at the expense of the applicant and is completed by Treetops Kitty Cafe prior to finalizing adoption.
After being approved, Treetops staff will send you an email informing you about your next steps. Typically, this means making a reservation to visit and completing the adoption.
All applicants are asked to pay their reservation fee to visit and adopt.
Approved applicants must bring a carrier to take their new pet home in. Treetops will provide you with all vet records for your new cat and it is the adopter’s responsibility to follow through on any unfinished veterinary care like booster vaccines. As age-appropriate, all cats are given at least one FVRCP booster and their rabies vaccine. FVRCP boosters are given 2-4 weeks apart, meaning your new cat may need vaccines within a month of adopting.
We do not hold or board cats. Adoptions are completed within 3 days of approval.
*Guardianship plans are required for all adopters. As 2020 has taught us, life can be unpredictable. To ensure your new family member will always have a safe and loving home, we may ask you to provide a co-applicant or a written plan of action should your pet need emergency placement in the event of illness, death, or relocation. Treetops is a small, private rescue always struggling to exist. In the case you need to re-home your cat, you must have a plan other than returning the cat to us. We do accept returns under strict conditions and will continue to do so as long as our rescue is in existence.