Please read our adoption policies below before submitting an application at the bottom of the page.
We recommend applying to adopt at least one week prior to visiting the Cafe for an adoption match. This gives us time to process your application and ensure you are able to leave with a cat the day you visit.
You can review our available cats here on our website and apply specifically or submit a general application. Since we are a family-owned and run rescue, we spend 40+ hours a week with our cats and know their needs well.
Please email us at email@example.com if you’d like suggestions for cats based on your family dynamics.
We do not offer same-day adoptions. All applicants must be pre-approved by staff before taking a cat home.
Our multi-step process ensures that our cats are placed in an appropriate forever home – a suitable match for each family and an environment in which the animal can thrive and grow. Each application is reviewed on an individual basis. Please take your time filling out our application and answer questions honestly and completely. Failure to provide information, providing false information, or failing a vet check will result in denial. We reserve the right to deny any application and appreciate your understanding.
Requirements for Approval
- Applicants must consent to and pass a basic background check conducted by Treetops staff. This will help us verify ownership of your home and check for animal abuse/neglect charges. Social media is also checked if applicable.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years old. All applicants are required to have a guardianship plan* or a co-applicant if requested.
- Applicants who have owned pets in the past 10 years must provide a current veterinarian’s phone number and give permission for a Treetops representative to review records with that vet. All current and previous pets must show a consistent record of well-visits and vaccinations. Rabies is required by law for all domestic pets, including indoor cats. Distemper is also required to be kept up to date for the safety of other pets in the home. Inconsistent vetting history (refusal to vaccinate, years between well-visits, refusal to treat chronic illness as recommended by a vet) will result in denial of the application. Applicants who have never owned personal pets will be approved based on personal references and the quality of their application.
- Our preferential adoption area is within a 1-hour drive from the Southern Chester County Area, but we do accept applications within a 2-hour drive.
- Kittens under the age of 6 months are to be adopted in pairs or to a home with other cats. Due to the amount of care and supervision tiny kittens need, we do not adopt young kittens to homes with young children or those without cat-owning experience. Most of our adults are 2 years old or younger and would make great pets for families or first-time owners!
- First-time cat owners must adopt a single adult cat. Not only do adult cats need homes the most, but they are much more predictable and easier to care for than kittens or bonded sets of adults.
- Cats adopted from Treetops are intended to be indoor-only cats. Our cats have come to us from out-of-state shelters where they were pulled off of the streets, from feral colonies, or surrendered by their previous owners. We encourage an indoor-only lifestyle for longevity and safety purposes. If you are looking for a barn cat or an indoor/outdoor cat, please email us and ask us if we have any suitable cats – sometimes we do!
ESA (emotional support animal) Adoptions:
We do allow cats to be adopted as emotional support animals. To qualify for an ESA adoption, applicants must provide the approved paperwork required by their rental manager/property owner in advance. ESA approval requires a diagnosis of qualifying conditions including, but not limited to: anxiety, depression, chronic stress, PTSD, and learning impairment. All vetting required to qualify a cat for ESA approval is at the expense of the applicant and is completed by Treetops Kitty Cafe prior to finalizing adoption.
After being approved, Treetops staff will send you an email informing you about your next steps. Typically, this means making a reservation to visit and completing the adoption.
All applicants are asked to pay their reservation fee to visit and adopt.
Approved applicants must bring a carrier to take their new pet home in. Treetops will provide you with all vet records for your new cat and it is the adopter’s responsibility to follow through on any unfinished veterinary care like booster vaccines. As age-appropriate, all cats are given at least one FVRCP booster and their rabies vaccine. FVRCP boosters are given 2-4 weeks apart, meaning your new cat may need vaccines within a month of adoption.
We do not hold or board cats. Adoptions are completed within 3 days of approval.
*Guardianship plans are required for all adopters if requested by Treetops staff. As 2020 has taught us, life can be unpredictable. To ensure your new family member will always have a safe and loving home, we may ask you to provide a co-applicant or a written plan of action should your pet need emergency placement in the event of illness, death, or relocation. Treetops is a small, private rescue always struggling to exist. In the case you need to re-home your cat, you must have a plan other than returning the cat to us. We do accept returns under strict conditions and will continue to do so as long as our rescue is in existence.
current adoption fees:
$150* per cat unless otherwise noted
*our adoption fee increased to $150 as of 1/1/23
Keep in mind after you are approved that we carry many of the items you will need for your new cat!
Shop with us and help support the rescue!
We do not adopt cats as “gifts”.
All parties involved in adoption must be made aware they are being gifted with adoption and then they may come in to pick the cat they want.
Please EMAIL to talk to a representative about obtaining an “adoption gift certificate”.
Only submit if you have read and agreed to our adoption process as listed above.